About Norlha Textiles
Norlha Textiles is a Tibetan-ran, socially-conscious enterprise that creates high quality yak wool products while providing job training and sustainable employment for local Tibetans, namely former nomads whose way of living is increasingly at risk.
Norlha has been operating for over 10 years and currently employs over 130 locals in Ritoma Village, located on the northeastern edge of the Tibetan Plateau (altitude: 10,600 feet) in the Gannan Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture, Gansu Province, China.
Norlha’s approach is holistic and intimate with the community, thus the belief in using Tibetan’s immense passion for basketball to further the mission of sustainable job and community development.
Beginning April 1st, 2018 Norlha’s amateur men’s basketball program will officially transition into a semi-professional one – one of the first on the Tibetan Plateau. The team is sponsored and operated by Norlha Textiles.
The men’s team will be comprised of up to 15 local Tibetan players. Two players will be full-time employees of Norlha Basketball, receiving full-time salaries and duties. The remaining traveling and practice players will receive part-time salaries to supplement their already existing jobs (either as Norlha employees or nomads).
In order to keep as much income as possible in the Tibetan community, the foreign player position will not be paid, however will have all living expenses covered (housing, food, airfare, visa, transportation, all basketball activities).
The official 2018 season will run from April 1st-August 31st (5 months).
- Trainings will occur every weekday in the afternoons (1-3pm) and evenings (6pm-8pm)
- Games are ad-hoc and will occur every other weekend, traveling to cities and villages ranging from 1-5 hours away.
- Tournaments are ad-hoc as well; we will compete in regional tournaments as well as hosting
Norlha Wellness Program
The two, local full-time basketball players will be assisting in the development of the Wellness Program at Norlha. The goal of this program is to promote healthy living among employees and the community, using sport as a catalyst. The foreign player position will help assist with this.
We are in need of a player/coach to 1) play with Norlha during the season, 2) assist coaching the men’s, women’s, and youth teams, and 3) help develop the Norlha Wellness Program.
Daily schedule will include:
- Individual Trainings & Weight Lifting
- Basketball study/film sessions
- Practices, Games, & Tournaments
- Assisting women’s and youth teams
- Creating a Basketball Curriculum (to be translated into Tibetan; terminology, rule book, film, plays/strategy, refereeing, stat-keeping, budgeting, practice planning, weight training program, stretching program, nutrition program)
- Assisting with development of Wellness Program
- Collegiate playing/coaching experience (Men’s or Women’s)
- Understanding and compassion for Norlha’s and the team’s sustainable mission and vision
- Willingness to immerse in a remote village
- Willingness to train with limited resources (i.e. outdoor courts)
- Ability to work with players and people of different backgrounds and cultures
- PLUS: Proficiency/Fluency in Mandarin (ability to translate)
- PLUS: Desire to assist with e-commerce, website development, and/or sustainable business projects
- Housing in Norlha’s Guesthouse (own room, western bathroom, wifi, housekeeping)
- All meals
- Roundtrip international airfare
- Roundtrip airport transportation to village
- Covered expenses to all basketball-related events, trips and tournaments in the region
- Chinese Visa